Jun 22, 2010

24 Kaikan (Shinjuku Ni-chome, Tokyo)

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post about Tokyo’s gay scene, I will now share my experiences going to 24 Kaikan, which is Tokyo’s most popular chain of bathhouses. There are three branches, all in Tokyo. One is in Ueno, another in Asakusa, and the last one is (unsurprisingly) in Shinjuku Ni-chome, Tokyo’s gay district that I described in my previous post.

I’ve gone to the Shinjuku branch two times a few years ago and both times were much later than my Arty Farty visit. The Shinjuku branch is the one nearest to where I was staying (though with Tokyo’s super-efficient train/subway system, distance is really not an issue), and the one has the most number of gaijin (foreigners) visiting, so it was an easy choice.

To tell you the truth, 24 Kaikan is actually the first bathhouse I’ve ever been to. I guess I just had more courage going to a foreign bathhouse than trying one out in Manila. It was actually my experiences in 24 Kaikan that encouraged me to try out the local bathhouses. Hehehe. :-)

Sad to say, none of the local bathhouses matches up to 24 Kaikan Shinjuku in terms of facilities, services, and maybe the crowd. They don’t even have a membership system, unlike here in Manila, and so I did not have to provide any identification the two times I went there. I actually really miss 24 Kaikan. But it is a bit pricey though. The entrance fee costs ¥2,600, which is currently equivalent to around 1,300 pesos. Yikes! But considering Tokyo’s cost of living (one of the most expensive cities in the world), a visit to 24 Kaikan still gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

Why “24”? Well, they’re open 24/7! A lot of bar-hoppers and clubbers in Shinjuku Ni-chome actually go to 24 Kaikan to crash for the night, or to have fun with the guy they met at the bar or club. You might say that 24 Kaikan is like a very convenient motel or lodging place. In fact, if I had known about it, I should’ve gone to 24 Kaikan after I got tired of Arty Farty!

As I’ve said, the Internet is my friend and the following web pages were extremely helpful in preventing me from making a cultural boo-boo in 24 Kaikan (like stepping onto the carpet with my shoes still on).

Anyway, the first time I went to 24 Kaikan I did not have too much trouble locating their 7-storey (7!) building and arrived there a little past midnight. I went up the stairs to the receiving area at the second floor. The procedures I read from Utopia were pretty much on target (the shoe lockers, the registration, and the locker room) and I was soon at the third floor where the wet area was located. I’ve never seen so many naked guys in one place before! And you can see pretty much all types of guys hanging around there. Fat old guys, young ripped lean guys, muscular African guys, hairy-chested Caucasians, you name it.

So I tried most of the wet area amenities. There’s the lukewarm pool (where this middle-aged Japanese man tried to touch me), the hot pool, the cold pool, the dry sauna, the steam room, the warm mist room, and various shower cubicles with glory holes. There was even a BDSM room in there! I actually like the mist room. It has a fine spray of warm water filling the space and it was quite relaxing actually. I didn’t cruise around the wet areas that time since the night was still young and there were other areas to check out. Hehehe.

After washing myself at the stool showers, I ascended to the fourth floor where the really dark common sleeping rooms where. Did I mention that they are really dark? The only illumination are dim red light bulbs. You will find yourself groping around just to get anywhere. The common rooms are set up like dormitory rooms with several double-deck beds as well as single beds. And plenty of condoms and tissue were scattered by the heads of the beds. Well, not much sleeping was going on since guys were mostly having sex. Instead of snoring, you will hear plenty of moaning.

I fortunately got an empty bunk in there with the intention of getting some nap, but I was soon joined by a Japanese guy who gave me one of the best blowjobs I’ve ever had. We did two rounds with a nap in between. He left after that, thanking me, and another man joined me soon after. I was really tired by that time so I tried to ignore his advances and attempted to get some sleep. By this time, the moaning all around noticeably got less audible and was replaced with a lot of snoring.

At around 4am, I left the common rooms and went back to the wet area. There I hooked up with this really cute and toned Japanese guy and we had some tongue action in one of the shower cubicles. I didn’t get his name but I learned that he was a few years older than me (but looked really younger) and that he has had two Filipino boyfriends before. No wonder he liked me. :-)

I left 24 Kaikan at around 6am when the trains have already started plying their routes.

I went back the following week. This time, I met this nice, cute Japanese named Aki at the wet area and we fondled each other in one of the pools. We also had a bit of fun later at the common rooms. I had several other encounters with other guys at various times. One time, a guy gave me a really nice hand job, one that had me squirming with pleasure. Another time was a threesome inside the steam room where one guy was licking my nipples and another was giving me a pleasurable hand job. Those were fun memorable times.

If ever I get the chance to visit Tokyo again, 24 Kaikan is definitely in my itinerary. :-)

Finally, do read this Japan Times article about 24 Kaikan and Shinjuku Ni-chome in general. It’s quite informative. You might also want to revisit this blog post at the Manila Gay Guy about a hattenba, or an informal bathhouse in Japan.

12 comments:

lonelyboy wrote on October 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM:

Hi there is it ok in 24kaikan to go there even im physically left leg disable, alone? need an advice thanks

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on October 23, 2010 at 12:46 AM:

@lonelyboy, sorry, I have no idea.

 
Dubaiboi wrote on November 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM:

Went to Japan last week. Like you, I did 'comprehensive' research on Japan gay life and the Shinjuku area..your blogpost about 24 Kaikan is one of them. I had the greatest time! To the highest 'ectasy' level if I may say LOL. Thanks for the informative posts. I can't believe around 80 percent of Jap boys are bottoms. And whoah! Japanese-Brazilian types..there are a lot of them. I had this session in 24 Kaikan with a Nippo-Brasiliero who looked like Akihiro Sato. I was already sleeping on one of the bunk beds and was surprised that one guy was suddenly caressing my nipples and started kissing me at the lips. When I opened by eyes..I got the shock of my life. I thought it was Akihiro Sato kissing me. Of course I got turned on..and we started doing it..apparently a lot of other guys was chasing him..and he chose me. Ang haba ng hair ko that time hehehe. He was saying someting in Japanese which I didn't understand..and the more I got turned on.And I was surprised he had his own room and he took me. He then pleaded me to enter him at the back. It was really shocking that someone who looked so straight could be a bottom..and they are a lot of them. There was also a guy from Yokohama who looked like Mamuru of Sailor Moon..he was really following me around. The good thing about Japanese men is that they crave for all sorts of markets..slim, chubs, muscled/beefcakes, lanky, etc etc..everybody has a piece of the Japanese men pie. Sigh. I really miss Japan. *tears in my eyes*

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on November 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM:

@Dubaiboi, nice! I guess you more more lucky than me. I wasn't able to hookup with someone like Akihiro Sato there. :-)

 
Myk wrote on November 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM:

Currently in Tokyo right now, staying at Washington Shinjuku Hotel. Read your post and wanted badly to go 24 Shinjuku - unfortunately, taxi drivers speak zero english :( And calling their receptionist wasn't any help either.

Would you know how to go about this by train? Your experience sounds good, won't let the rest of my days here pass without trying out the place :) Thanks in advance.

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on November 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM:

@Myk, try Google Maps. Here's a link to the Google StreetView of the entrance. From there, you can zoom out and get your bearings. 24 Kaikan can be walked from the main Shinjuku station. That's what I did when I went there since Shinjuku station is on the same line as the station near where I stayed.

 
Anonymous wrote on January 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM:

hope to hear more from your bathouse abroad... i've been to a bath house in Singapore, Melbourne & Sydney... they're bathouses are lovely...

 
Anonymous wrote on December 30, 2011 at 3:27 PM:

Is anyone going to Japan between 14-24 Feb 2012? I'm Rayson, 23 years old, cute+handsome+fit from KL malaysia, will be traveling alone 1st time yo Japan. I would love to try the 24 kaikan sauna n other gay club in shinjuku. Can contact at alvis1988sun@hotmail.com

 
Anonymous wrote on October 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM:

Anyone thats in japan now?

 
Anonymous wrote on October 24, 2013 at 7:27 PM:

Iam there now

 
Anonymous wrote on February 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM:

I might be having the time of my life in 24 kaikan this comimng holyweek. Lol

 
Anonymous wrote on March 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM:

Tara wanna go there din.haha does it really need to talk to them in nihongo or ok din n english.?