Feb 11, 2012

Turning 4

Four years. Oh how time passes by.

It was four years ago today that I wrote the very first post in Discreet Manila. In it, I specified three world-changing milestones that affected the global gay community: the Stonewall Riots, the AIDS pandemic, and the Internet. Four years on, the issues related to these three things are still quite relevant: we are still fighting for LGBT rights, especially here in the Philippines, we are fighting the spread and stigma of HIV/AIDS, most especially here in the country, and we are forging new bonds and connections and learning a lot via the Internet, as you are now doing while reading this blog post.

It’s been a wonderful four years and I have found that writing articles here in Discreet Manila—though not as frequent as I would like to—has been a positive thing. I like sharing things, or giving my thoughts, or relating my personal experiences. And I hope that you, dear readers, find my little corner of the Web very helpful. Thank you especially to the numerous comments expressing your appreciation, such as the one below. These make writing worth my while. :-)

I just came across your blog today, quite by accident. Read one article, and then another, and found that I couldn't stop - well, I could have, but chose not to, as I was in awe of how "decent" and, frankly, intelligently written your blog is. Ironic that - since I chanced upon your blog hoping to find links to hot videos. I am not into the gay scene and will prolly never be, but I do enjoy your posts about BED, bath houses, and whatnot, perhaps the empowerment they give me, albeit vicariously as I am admittedly too chicken to frequent such gay hangouts. Allow me to say you have achieved the precarious balance between mundane posts that cater to my *cough* carnal curiosities and relevant musings about life and the community of PLU (wow, I even had to google that acronym). I learned a lot from your blog reading from as far back as 2 years worth of postings in one sitting.

I, Sir, am an instant fan.Unknown

Thank you everyone, and here’s looking forward to four more years of Discreet Manila!

9 comments:

tonichi wrote on February 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM:

Good morning Vince. Cheers to 4 years of empowerment, enlightenment and utmost entertainment.

 
Anonymous wrote on February 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM:

happy birthday discreet manila...

 
Anonymous wrote on February 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM:

good job..more power vince!

http://hottesturbanboys.blogspot.com/

 
Anonymous wrote on February 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM:

Happy birthday...much appreciated...and hope you will never give up.

 
Mugen wrote on February 13, 2012 at 1:38 AM:

Happy 4th to your blog Vince. Have to tell you, you're an institution here. Haha.

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on February 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM:

Thanks, everyone! Cheers! :-D

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on February 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM:

@Mugen, but your blog has 421 followers to my 357. So I guess that means that your blog is the bigger institution here. Hehehe.

 
Guyrony wrote on February 15, 2012 at 11:03 PM:

To more years of blogging, Vince!

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on February 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM:

Thanks, Guyrony!