May 7, 2013

Would you vote for Ang Ladlad? (2013 edition)

Back in 2010, I asked you guys, “Would you vote for Ang Ladlad?” I then answered my own question: “I’m voting for Ang Ladlad and so should you.” After I voted for Ang Ladlad, I checked out the results from my precinct and was really surprised and glad that 17 other people voted for the LGBT party-list, which meant that Ang Ladlad won 3.42% of the votes in my precinct. If that result were reflected in the national results, then Ang Ladlad would have gotten 2 seats in the House of Representatives. Unfortunately, Ang Ladlad only got a little more than 100,000 votes from the whole country, around 50,000 votes short of the total that is guaranteed to get one seat.

This year, I am voting for Ang Ladlad again. Among the hundreds of party-lists on the ballot, I feel that only Ang Ladlad represents my interests more. While I am not expecting that same-sex marriage would be on the agenda anytime soon (I don’t feel our country is ready for that), the first step is the Anti-Discrimination Bill. Ang Ladlad has made passing this bill the cornerstone of their congressional agenda and I am all for that.

So if you’re still undecided on your party-list choice, please do consider Ang Ladlad. It is infinitely more deserving of a seat than those pretentious pet party-lists of politicians (Mikey Arroyo’s Ang Galing Pinoy anyone?).

4 comments:

Anonymous wrote on May 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM:

I voted for Ang Ladlad in 2010, and will do so again in 2013.

 
Mugen wrote on May 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM:

Not sure Vince this time. Never heard them speak about social issues lately. I even don't know if they're campaigning.

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on May 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM:

@Anon, good for you!

@JM, well, they lack the resources to mount a real nationwide campaign. They don't even have the funds to buy a lot of commercials. Anyway, like you I haven't heard much from them but a quick search on Google News turned up articles about Ang Ladlad on the campaign trail. :)

 
Anonymous wrote on May 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM:

With all fairness, they went out and campaigned very hard for the party but due to some problems especially resources they were not able to cover all areas in the country. But Ladlad went to Cebu, Davao, Leyte, Cagayan de Oro, Dumaguete, Ilocos, CAR, Laguna, Bulacan, NCR and other provinces. Pls watch this video: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/gay-party-hopes-to-represent-lgbt-commun/669336.html

Maraming salamat po.